Saturday, February 19, 2022

A return to normalcy, somewhat

January is the time of year many people look to start fresh and embark on a promising year. However, the first several weeks was anything but promising.

Not only did I test positive for COVID-19, but I lost my temp job. The silver lining from all this was the support I received from family and friends.

February is looking to be better, though. I went on a couple of job interviews (even landed a part-time job in the tourism sector) and took a couple of road trips to keep the soul and mind intact.

Hitting the road

On Feb. 1, I drove from Albuquerque to Four Corners Monument. The drive from Albuquerque featured some beautiful scenery and interesting.

A look west on US 64.
Highway Hasman photo

At Four Corners, I walked from one state to another, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah, in a matter of seconds.

Step right in and visit four states at once.
Highway Hasman photo

While it was a fun drive I needed to do something else. A week later, I decided to take another risk, to go on an overnighter. 

The uncertainty

For the past two years, Tombstone was on my bucket list of places to see. Unfortunately, 2020 was not the right time. I was living in Gillette, Wyoming, when I wanted to hit the Southwest but COVID-19 stood in the way. The next year was not quite so right, either. I decided to explore parts of Illinois and Missouri instead.

But it was time to actually make it to southeast Arizona in 2022. 

Unfortunately, it took getting sick of staying home to go.

On the morning of Feb. 16, I headed south on Interstate 25. Thoughts of "Get off the next exit and turn around. This was a nice drive, but it is time to go back home" cropped up a few times between that exit and Truth or Consequences. But the soul wanted to go a little further.

After getting gas at T or C I continued down I-25. A half-hour later, I looked on my phone's GPS and plugged in Tombstone in the search then went from there. The decision to travel to Tombstone was set in stone, if you will, after crossing the Arizona line on Interstate 10.

After checking into the Sagebrush Inn, a 1947 mom and pop motel where John Wayne reportedly stayed at, I walked up to historic Allen Street. 

A look down Allen Street in Tombstone, Arizona.
Highway Hasman photo

As my hiking shoes scrapped the gravel street I got goosebumps as I soaked in the aura of a place where Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday once lived. 

After a couple of beverages and a burger at the Crystal Palace Saloon I called it a day.

The next day I drove up to Saguaro National Park to check off another bucket list item before heading back to Tombstone for the second and final night.

Saguaro cactus stands out in Tucson.
Highway Hasman photo

Of course, a trip to Tombstone would not be complete without visiting Boot Hill Cemetery, a graveyard filled with outlaws and other interesting characters.

Here lies one of many interesting figures at Boot Hill Cemetery in Tombstone, Arizona. 
Highway Hasman photo

The trip to Arizona was a much needed distraction from everything. The soul felt rejuvenated. It was time to start getting back into some sort of routine. 

For the first time in six weeks I will go back to work, as a part-time visitors information clerk for the Sandoval County (New Mexico) tourism department. 

I am continuing to look for other employment as well as pursue freelance writing opportunities to help cover the bills, but it will be good to go back to work and return to some kind of normalcy, a feeling many of us have been wishing for these past two years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment