Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Giving thanks for having a great lunch with mom

Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks, though people should be thankful everyday.

This year I am especially grateful for my mom who lives about 2,000 miles away. I miss and think about her often.

About two months ago, she flew from New York and helped me with my move from Gillette, Wyoming, to Albuquerque, New Mexico.

One of the highlights of our time together in the Land of Enchantment was having lunch at Circle T Burgers in Belen.

Circle T Burgers is a place travelers heading to or from Albuquerque can enjoy a burger and some nostalgia.
Highway Hasman photo

The nostalgic oasis

At the end of September and with the new apartment pretty much set up, we decided to take a 35-mile drive south to Belen.

After getting off Interstate 25 we searched for a place to eat. We past at least three establishments before finding a nostalgic oasis.

Just before making a turn into the restaurant parking lot we caught the Circle T Burgers sign in the distance. I changed lanes immediately (thankfully I did not hit anyone), went back onto Business I-25 and drove down less than a mile to the Circle T.

An iconic A&W Burger teen greets visitors outside Circle T Burgers in Belen, NM.
Highway Hasman photo

There was plenty of eye candy to examine on the building's exterior, but inside the restaurant had neat décor as well.

A bike hangs from inside Circle T Burgers.
Highway Hasman photo

Circle T Burgers has two locations in Belen, but the one we went to opened in 1958, a year where some of the top music hits included "All I Have to Do is Dream" by The Everly Brothers and "Waitin' in School" by Ricky Nelson.

While listening to some oldies we checked out the menu.

Mom considers her options at Circle T Burgers in Belen.
Highway Hasman photo

The options included burgers (plain, cheese, green chile cheeseburger), regular French fries, cheese and chili cheese fries.

The burgers were delicious, but the surprise came with the sides. 

I have to admit I like most food plain and dry, but I tried my mom's cheese fries and they were outstanding.

We both enjoyed the experience so much we went back just before her birthday and flight back home a couple weeks later. 

As I sit here on Thanksgiving Eve, I am appreciative of enjoying a meal at a mom and pop establishment with my mom.

P.S. I have one piece of advice: Hit the road with a loved one and enjoy an adventure together, anywhere. That experience will be one thing you are grateful for.

2 comments:

  1. One of your best posts!! So glad you and your mom had this time together.

    ReplyDelete