Monday, October 11, 2021

Yes, I had another flat, but...

Looking east off U.S. Highway 550 where the good Samaritan saved this roadie from plenty of frustration Monday afternoon.
Highway Hasman photo

Flat tires are the bane of my existence.

Just days after getting a new car, a seven-year-old Subaru Outback, I got my second flat in the last few months.

In July, my old 2010 Dodge Ram blew a driver's side tire off Interstate 25 north of Wheatland, Wyoming, on my way to New Mexico for a vacation.

A tow truck driver put on the spare. I got new tires in Cheyenne the next day.

On a day drive northwest of Albuquerque Monday, almost three months later to the day, the Subaru got a flat fire after the left side passenger tire hit a sharp object. Fortunately, the tire was not destroyed.

Nonetheless, I thought, "Not again!"

The good Samaritan

I was text messaging my mom about the flat tire on US Highway 550, a few miles northwest from San Ysidro, New Mexico, when a white van pulled over in front of me. 

As it backed closer I thought, "Please, stop." 

It finally did.

A lean gray-haired man with pale blue eyes got out and headed over to the Subaru. As he walked closer my heart raced a thousand miles an hour.

The window lowered.

"Do you need help?" he asked.

"I got a flat," I replied.

He then told me to get the flat from the trunk. I got the tire jack and he helped change the tire.

He told me his name was Randy and he lived with the Navajo in Cuba, 30 miles up the road. He was heading back from a day trip with a few kids at the zoo in Albuquerque. 

After the donut was put on he got his tire plug kit out and closed the hole, saving the tire and my wallet.

I offered to pay him, but he refused any offers.

"God bless you," I said.

"God bless you," he responded before getting back into the van and heading toward Cuba.

I made it to Big O Tires in Bernalillo, north of Albuquerque, though not before sitting in a traffic jam for about an hour.


Road work was being done in Bernalillo, New Mexico, Monday afternoon.
Highway Hasman photo

Randy's work saved the day. The tire shop was able to salvage the tire and I did not have to dig deep into the wallet.

Thank you to everyone, especially Randy and God.

Despite the good outcome, the incident served as an important reminder: figure out how to change a darn tire.

No comments:

Post a Comment