Friday, March 26, 2021

Thank you, Mr. McMurtry

Larry McMurtry and I in July 2014

The world lost author Larry McMurtry on Thursday and I lost a literary hero.

McMurtry is known for writing the iconic "Lonesome Dove" and "Hud," which are great books and movies but it was his other works that attracted me to him. Most notably, "Roads: Driving America's Great Highways" and "Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen."

In those books, McMurtry, the son of a West Texas rancher, seemed like a regular man one would encounter in many communities along the open road. In other words, he was relatable, someone to have a Coke or a brew with while shooting the breeze about the weather, a long drive, or that darn drought.

At the same token, he broke away from conventional norms especially in the Westerns genre when he wrote "Brokeback Mountain." But it is his quote from "Roads" that has this nostalgic, old soul thinking and rethinking.

"Part of the trick of being happy is a refusal to allow oneself to become too nostalgic for the heady triumphs of one's youth," McMurtry wrote.

These words are tough pills to swallow for someone who loves to reflect with each drive down a two-lane highway, but they are necessary to adhere to in order to grow. 

The encounter with the legend

I met McMurtry during a writing class in his hometown of Archer City, Texas, the county seat of Archer County, a half-hour away from Wichita Falls on a hot July day in 2014.

The town is the setting of "The Last Picture Show," another excellent novel written by their native son. (The movie was not bad either. But I digress.)

The writing class was part of UNT's Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference, a nationally acclaimed annual conference that offers folks ranging from journalists a chance to be inspired to improve their craft.

We congregated to meet in the bottom floor of the Spur Hotel (built in 1928) when professor George Getschow introduced everyone to his friend Mr. McMurtry who flew up from Tucson, Arizona, to spend some time with us. 

As McMurtry, a 1958 UNT grad, sat down on a wooden chair inside a room with shelves full of books I felt like a kid meeting a famous baseball player. I did not know what to say. All that came out of my lips was a greeting and "sir." I admit I forgot what I asked him, but I think it related to his writing style.

Everyone had their chance to ask him questions and I just soaked up his knowledge as he answered them. Then he left. 

He walked out the door of the Spur Hotel like a cowboy leaves the house ready to embark on a day of tough chores or a long venture.

I wish I got to say goodbye to Mr. McMurtry, but I am doing the next best thing.

Thank you for your contributions.


No comments:

Post a Comment