Sunday, April 24, 2011


Last weekend, I turned thirty years old. I spent the time in Brooklyn, New York amongst family and friends. As I visited, I took several strolls down memory lane, reflecting on a part of my life I will never forget.

No matter where one is from there is something they take with them. For me it was french fries from Nathan's in Coney Island, a community that thrived during the Roaring 20s and is doing pretty good today. As I sat down munching on the fries enjoying my mother's company, I began to appreciate things I did not prior to moving to Texas. For instance, it was great being able to hang out with the one person who has done so much for me. Enjoying that Sunday afternoon was only a small token of appreciation I have for her. In addition to her company, I came to appreciate what I never appreciated before: watching the wonderful waves that crashed the shore or hearing the sound of the F train as it drives off into the subway sunset.



As we walked across the boardwalk, we spoke of simple times and how life has changed immensely over the past 5 years. While it is frustrating, I learned to appreciate the waves and sounds of seagalls as they rush to find crumbs. Through using my senses, I realize that I overcomplicated things in recent times. Moreover, the afternoon with my mother taught me to enjoy the small things in life and that troubles will pass in due time.

All and all I had a great time, reminiscing and enjoying things I never thought much of before. As I sit here and reflect, I want to thank everyone who joined me on that great day. Most importantly, my mother and sister, who are two big reasons I am who I am today. May God Bless them and those who have patiently seen me put my foot in my mouth or make illogical (there you go, Spock) decisions. Thirty is here and the best days are to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment