Saturday, September 7, 2019

A look at the move to Gillette and more

Welcome to Campbell County, Wyoming
Gregory R.C. Hasman Photo
"Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road."

Walt Whitman's opening remarks in his ode to the open road describes the last several weeks to a t.

The last time I wrote I was in Rock Springs enjoying the fruits of helping put together the Lincoln Highway Association Conference in June. I returned from a weekend drive to Wheatland and Chugwater, Wyoming. Since then, I relocated to Gillette, which sits six hours northeast of Rock Springs and a few hours away from the Lincoln Highway. Some may wonder, why in so short a period of time did this nomadic soul decide to pick up and leave?

The first reason is practical: To take a new step in my career as a journalist. I joined the Gillette News Record to continue the journey as a reporter, writer and person. I have a lot of work to do, but I am learning.

The most important reason for the move: To continue my life's mission, explore communities along the two-lane highway across the country and document it with a camera phone and pen. Plain and simple. It is my calling.

On that note, I have not given up on the LH. I am still doing research, but I want to learn about other auto trails like the Black and Yellow Trail, which ran through Gillette, and the Yellowstone Trail that ran further north. There are so many other roads with interesting histories and people to learn and write about.

Last weekend, I visited North Dakota for the first time and even rode with bison.

A look at a bison down the two-lane in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in Medora, North Dakota.
Gregory R.C. Hasman Photo
Montana, South Dakota and northeast Wyoming are other places I have continued to explore.

Mount Rushmore is a day drive away from Moorcroft, Wyoming
Gregory R.C. Hasman
Folks, I have good news. I am starting a project (finally) involving my photography and two-lane highways and that is all I will say until I get further along. In the meantime I will resume working on this blog and create quality content.

For now I will say thank you for your patience. More and better is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment